Camera2Web.com

Myron Kassaraba's weblog about digital photography on the web

Thursday, November 06, 2003

How Many Cameras?

How many cameras does one person need?

Veo, a San Jose-headquartered company formerly known as Xirlink, claim to have an 18% share in the web cam market (through OEMs who bring their products to market). They have been rapidly expanding both their stand-alone digital camera products and the camera attachments for PDA's and other devices with CF & SD cards.

I had used some of the low-end VGA cameras from SiPix and SMaL (Radio Shack) as well as having one of the original EyeModule cameras for my Handspring and found for the most part the quality of the images was quite poor (other than the SMaL Camera device which took amazing pictures outdoors). This brings us to the question - "How many cameras does one need and with which devices should they be combined). I believe that in the near future anyone who is "photo engaged" (hobby + memories) will have three cameras. (1) a camera phone or PDA camera or camera attachment ~1-2 Mpixel (2) a point-and-shoot pocketable camera ~3-4 Mpixel and (3) a digital SLR or pseudo SLR.

I recently purchased the new Kodak DX6490, 4Mpixel with 10x zoom. It is a great little camera - took splendid Halloween pictures, powerful flash, excellent low light performance - but, the thing is a brick. Won't fit into a jacket pocket - I tried today to find a camera bag/fanny pack that it would fit into for a trip I'm taking and I was way above the size I wanted to deal with so, on this trip, out comes my trusty Nikon CoolPix 775. Though I really thought the 6490 would be "it" for a while - looks like I may be looking for a good deal on a Nikon 3100 - as I love the 775 but it needs a little more resolution. The 3100 is a perfect size - I just hope it works with NikonView 4.3.1. I tried both 5.0 and 6.0 and hated them. All I want to do is get the pictures from the camera to the computer - the newer "suite" approach just seems to get in the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home