Camera2Web.com

Myron Kassaraba's weblog about digital photography on the web

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

The Perfect Event Camera?


Just posted! Fujifilm FinePix S5000 Zoom review. Just posted! Our full in-depth
review of Fujifilm's ten times optical zoom 'SLR like' S5000 digital camera. The
S5000 features a three megapixel SuperCCD HR sensor, a fast F2.8 - F3.2 10x
optical zoom lens, manual control and an electronic viewfinder. The camera
design is compact but SLR like with a deep hand grip and well designed control
layout. It's a camera which appeals to film SLR owners who want a lightweight
'all in one' digital camera. See how the S5000 performed in our tests.
[
Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)
So in the past two weeks I've been to several events/conferences where I wanted to take digital pictures to post to the web (both to a web site and to a photoblog). The camera phone I used was pretty much useless for this purpose, shooting pictures from the audience was too far away to get any kind of focus and the glare from the screen completely wiped out the slides (so at least for now you are safe from having your presentation moblogged). My Nikon CoolPix 775, which I love because it fits in a jeans or sportcoat pocket, was not up to the task either. The flash is just too wimpy and the lens is not fast enough to perform well in low light. I may be taking a lot closer look at these next generation digital SLR or pro-sumer cameras like this Fuji.

Here's the thing. Yes, I want instant imaging and instant publishing but darn it, I want the pictures to look good too. If I'm taking these photos of a conference I'm speaking at or a panel that is part of a group I belong to (this morning E2 New England hosted Doug Foy, the Secretary of the Commonwealth here in MA on a Smart Growth Panel), I want the visitor viewing those photos on the web to see the event through a clear lens.
Like it or not, the pictures you take and then publish on the web or share with others are a reflection of you. Someone needs to find a way to marry portability and wireless capabilities into a camera that takes great pictures (and BTW is able to do scaling/reduction and some image enhancement in the camera so the online versions of the pictures can look beautiful).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home