Camera2Web.com

Myron Kassaraba's weblog about digital photography on the web

Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Photo Feeds


I smiled when this showed up in my news reader......Ellen Veazey - taken from
our house on Kal Shore ..[
Norway
Lake, Maine
]

This is a TextAmerica photoblog I subscribe to with a beautiful shot of an evening sky from a lake in Maine. I am really hooked on this idea of photo feeds......... What if someone like WireImage.com, that has all kinds of near real-time photos from events all over the world, were to offer a "fashion photo feed" or a "Manchester United" photo feed? This is a very interesting area that folks like EyeTide Media are already trying with a desktop screen saver. Things like authentication, security and billing for feeds need some work - anyone know of people working in this area?

Lost & Found Photoblog
I was reading a Boxcar Children book by
Gertrude Chandler Warner with my daughter - Mystery at the Beach. The story has to do with their meeting Mr. Lee, an old man using a metal detector finding treasures on the beach. He was talking about how he walked the beach every morning with his metal detector and sometimes he found junk; bottlecaps, tin cans, etc. and sometimes he found valuable things like rings and bracelets and watches. He was asked by one of the Boxcar Children if he made his living selling the things he found, he said no, he was retired and he always tried to find the owner of the lost item but it was hard since often people came to the beach and only stayed a few days.............
This is one indication that I've been spending way to much time on this Photoblogging Report, but the idea flashed into my head - what if Mr. Lee had a digital camera and a photoblog? He could post when and where he found the item (wait until we have geocoding built into cameras!) and it could be browsed on the web. OK, I already know the flaw with this idea - ownership of anything good would be claimed by everyone. But think of the other interesting applications. Bird watchers, rock hounds, a photoblog of the landmarks from the hike you are on - in case you get lost (too bad the White Mountains only have analog network coverage)- OK, the air is getting thin up here - but it is fun to think about the things you can do with instant & mobile digital capture & publish capabilities!

SMaL: 1.3 mpix credit-card cam with color LCD. SMaL Camera Technologies has today announced a rapid development kit is available that will let manufacturers quickly bring to market a 1.3 megapixel credit-card camera with a 1.5" or 1.8" color LCD display. [The Imaging Resource News Page]


I'll be very interested to see how well this camera does in indoor situations. The original SMaL camera sold by Radio Shack and others had very impressive image quality for a VGA sensor and you could really see the benefits of the expanded dynamic range - it however did not have a flash which makes indoor shots difficult. As I said perviously, I might be willing to scrap my CoolPix in favor of a new SLR-like digital camera (I'm anxiously awaiting the KODAK EASYSHARE DX6490) for family photography (birthdays, holidays, major vacations) and use something like a new SMaL camera as a pocketable camera. The one thing I still have to figure out is how to get the pictures from the SMaL camera to my mobile phone or wireless PDA for moblogging. I had talked about the SD card and the Kyocera Smart Phone as one option, I guess bluetooth could be the other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home